Friday, November 20, 2009

Beautiful Lago Atitlan

Volcano San Pedro from the hotel.
One of the balconies at the hotel.

Trying to take a picture with the volcano in the background.


Chuck taking off!



Coming down the zip-line!




In our zip-line gear ready for business!!

So after our dreadful overnight bus ride, a 2 hour or so wait at the stinky bus station, an hour bus ride to Antigua and then another 3 hour bus ride to the Lake.... we might have been a little crabby. I had a problem at first with explaining everything that we were doing to Charles, as well as translating... so adding lack of sleep, and frustration, I'm pretty sure Charles has images of drop kicking me to the floor.... thankfully he didn't. I got better though! It was weird to have a visitor, or anyone for that matter that I had to explain everything to because I've been so used to people being in the same boat as me. So this was a learning experience for me as well... so next time he visits my Spanish will have improved and I'll be a better tour guide.

We stayed at a beautiful little place called Casa del Mundo that was only accessable by boat. Each night they served family styled meals where you were able to meet everyone that was staying at the same hotel. We met some really great people from all over... France, Canada, Holland, various US States... and the food was always really good! We were also able to meet up with my sitemate Valerie, who was supposed to stay with us at the same hotel, but the reservations were mixed up. Both Chuck and I, Val and her friend went to a nature reserve and zip-lined through an old coffee farm/beautiful jungle-like scenery (not really sure what to call it being so close to the lake).

Chuck and I did some exploring at some of the little towns around the lake and then we headed to my site, Santa Maria Chiquimula where we had lunch with my host family. Unfortunately, we arrived too late and we were only there for a few hours. He also wasn't feeling too well... after a long 3 hour trip from the lake and then taking a pick-up for an hour to my site while winding in and out of the mountains...

And I also found out that Chuck is a seriously better bargainer than I am... I am totally a wuss. Chuck had no shame. But he got some great Christmas presents out of it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment