Thursday, November 19, 2009

Cafe Americano

All the coffee trees which are being shaded by trees... one of 2 ways to grow coffee.
The coffee bean inside the red berry.

A Picture of a coffee tree... the red berries mean they are ripe and ready to be picked!


A picture of what the coffee tour looked like.



Charles reading the info about how coffee originated before our tour.




Well... Charles came, and he went... I will definitely be on the sad train for a while. I was definifely a spoiled little puppy :) Going from 3 full meals a day to my standard oatmeal and cornfalkes for breakfast and one fried egg for dinner will definitely take some adjusting. Then by the time I'm adjusted my parents will have arrived and I'll have to start all over again :)

The trip was nothing short of amazing! Poor Charles, I ran him to the ground. We went all over Guatemala and the traveling definitely took its toll on his health a few times. We started the trip with a coffee farm tour. I think Charles liked that, being the coffee lover he is. We were able to see how they grow, harvest and mass produce coffee. Guatemala I believe is #6 in coffee exports.

After the coffee farm we took a music tour. Basically a tour of all the different instruments that have been used and originataed in Guatemala. At the end of the tour we saw a video of the different departments of Guatemala and it showed how they use the instruments for ceremonies, fairs and holidays.

After the 2 tours we went to visit my host family from training. Charles gave them banana bread as a gift and we ate a yummy chicken dish. Charles and I should have switched plates because I got the bigger piece of chicken... I also learned that this wasn't his first time eating corn tortillas...




No comments:

Post a Comment