Thursday, June 25, 2009

Going To The Chapel...
















I came back from the states yesterday. Although the trip was short it was completely needed. I was able to see Charles and my family and spend time with them at least one more time. When I arrived in Columbus Thursday night it had been a very long day. I got up at 6 am Guatemalan time and didn’t arrive in the States until 11:50 pm (9:50 pm Guatemala). Needless to say I was tired but it was nice to be home, well, more or less. Charles picked me up from the airport waiting for me not only with open arms but with a Dr. Pepper… (for those that know me, me and the DP are BFFs), I was beyond happy. The next day was a whirlwind of errands and Charles couldn’t have been more helpful and patient driving me place to place. If it wasn’t for him I don’t know how I would have been able to accomplish everything I needed to do. I was able to buy a rehearsal dinner dress, bridesmaid dress and shoes all in one day. I kept the tag on my rehearsal dinner dress and was able to return it to a different Banana Republic and saved $75, exchanged my shoes the day of the wedding for cheaper ones and found the bridesmaid dress on sale for $47 when it was originally $185. So it was a great bargain-shopping weekend along with a beautiful wedding.
The day of the wedding I had my hair done only to have it fall out during the bridal party pictures before the wedding. So when we got back to the church one of the bridesmaids completely redid my hair and in the middle of redoing it I had to take pictures in the church with my family. This all took place 45 minutes before the wedding started. I think there are 3 sets of photos where I have my hair different. I’m not gonna lie, it was weird seeing my brother getting married, I think I’m still weirded out. But Kristen, my brother’s wife, is amazing. I’m really happy I can call her family.
I think the most embarrassing moment of the weekend was when I signed a poster of a picture of Ben and Kristen. My verbal diarrhea kicked in, but this time it came out on paper. I wrote: Congratulations! I’m so glad I was able to come back! Remember not only is Thoennes always mispronounced it is also a game…” What?!? There was a point when I was seriously contemplating gluing something over my comment, even throwing the whole thing in the garbage. It is not like I can cross my comment out. It was on a keepsake they will have the rest of their lives, probably even frame… ugh. I had Charles read the damage and not only did he laugh out loud he couldn’t even give me any words of encouragement. The only person that laughed was my grandma. I love my grandma. Grandmas are awesome. Not only did she send me back to Guatemala with 7 books but 48 protein bars and a deck of cards. Hopefully those protein bars will help with the diarrhea. Speaking of diarrhea, thank God my grandma can’t smell anymore because she shared a room with me in the hotel and there were times when I thought I was going to pass out.
The most memorable moments of the wedding reception were when my brother started a YMCA train where everyone in the reception weaved in and out of the dinner tables signing YMCA . Songs like Kriss-Kross and MC Hammer played and I also realized my grandpa is the Latin version of The Godfather. I meant to ask Charles how many times my mother asked him how tall he was. Every time my mother sees Charles I’m pretty sure she thinks Charles has grown an inch more. Overall, the wedding was beautiful and everyone had a great time.
On Sunday my family and I walked around Easton, I said goodbye and then Charles and I went to see the Pixar movie “Up”… great movie! It was so cute! I have never been disappointed with a Pixar movie. Next year they are coming out with Toy Story 3! Charles later that night took me out to a nice dinner and I tried tartar for the first time… not sure if I’ll try it again. It was definitely interesting.
I’m back in Guatemala and as usual it is raining. I jumped right back into work. Tomorrow we are giving a presentation about diarrhea (go figure) to the health promoters in our clinic, and we are also teaching how to give a presentation. This weekend I was invited to go to the beach but I haven’t decided if I want to go yet. It will be with 6 other volunteers and 4 host families, but they are letting everyone sleep out. So we will see. A week from tomorrow, July 1st, everyone finds out what site they will be assigned to for the next 2 years. Everyone pray for me that I will be blessed with a great cite. Pray that the people I will work with will want to work with me and that the community will accept me. Amen!

Song: Moby; Natural Blues
Missing: Charles
Looking forward to: Becoming fluent
Mood: Content
Recent achievement: Killing a spider by myself in my room this morning.
Good idea: Wearing layers to bed to prevent massive mosquito bites.
Bad idea: Playing Monopoly with a 6, 7, & 9 year old…. That lasted about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment