Saturday, May 23, 2009

Chuchu´s Lullaby


There is so much noise all around me. Thankfully I love to sleep so I don’t have a problem tuning all the outside noise off. Tonight was probably one of the most peaceful nights I’ve had here in Guatemala. My host dad plays the guitar and helps lead his church’s worship service every 3rd Sunday. Every now and then he plays by himself in the kitchen, which is right by my room. The sound has become very soothing for me. Tonight, it was raining and the dogs were barking and the children were running around. He started to play and slowly the rain settled, the kids went to bed and the dogs (or chuchu’s, which are stray dogs), stopped barking. Slowly, in the calm of silence his wife started to sing. In the background you can hear the cars pass by, and the rain slowly dying away. Then you can hear my host parents singing a slow Spanish melody that magically intertwined with the outside noise. I felt like I was in a movie. I felt my heart skip a beat because it wasn’t a movie, it was real and I was there. Through their voices I could picture my host mother’s smile. Her smile is the heart and soul of the people of Guatemala; warm, loving, and generous. I started to rub my feet and I feel asleep to a foreign lullaby, of words that have no meaning to me yet, but have the power of calming any passerby, even chuchus.

No comments:

Post a Comment